Xeni Jardin wrote a post today on Boing Boing titled, “Lessons Learned.” I’ve commented on the Boing Boing explosion from a couple of weeks ago here, here, and here. It’s part apology, and part “here’s what we learned today.” As far as the Boing Boing community goes, I think it’s good that Xeni posted this. Also, it’s interesting how positive the majority of comments are to this post than to the original post that served as lightning rod to this mess. I wonder if folks had time to cool off, or if those anti-happy mutants jetisoned their escape pod to points of interest in the Internet Cloud that they found more amenable to their sensibilities. Anyways, I think Warren Ellis’ post, The Patchwork Years, is a good read and perspective antidote to comment wars and the general philocentric ennui on the net.
What is Dynamic Subspace?
On DynamicSubspace.net, Dr. Jason W. Ellis shares his interdisciplinary research and pedagogy. This blog's focus includes the exploration of science, technology, and cultural issues through science fiction and neuroscientific approaches.
Dr. Ellis is an Assistant Professor of English at the New York City College of Technology (City Tech) where he currently teaches college writing and professional communication.
He holds a B.S. in Science, Technology, and Culture from Georgia Tech, a M.A. in Science Fiction Studies from the University of Liverpool, and a Ph.D. in English from Kent State University.
Contact him via email at jellis at citytech.cuny.edu or on Twitter @dynamicsubspace.
Most Recent Posts
- Minireview: The Reconcilers Graphic Novel Volume 1 July 15, 2014
- Second Donation to Georgia Tech Library Archive’s Retrocomputing Lab: Power Macintosh 8500 June 29, 2014
- Inaugural Donation to Georgia Tech Library Archive’s Retrocomputing Lab June 20, 2014
- Atlanta Science Fiction Society Talk on Teaching SF at Georgia Tech, Tomorrow June 13, 2014
- New Job, New Students, and New Friends in New York City June 10, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Dissertation Defense Opening Statement, May 15, 2012 June 9, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Dissertation Paragraph Summaries Before Defense, May 2012 June 6, 2014
- Recovered Writing, Brittain Fellowship, CETL Brown Bag, Writing the Brain: Using Twitter and Storify, Oct. 2, 2013 June 4, 2014
- Recovered Writing, Unpublished Essay, Michael Bay’s Transformers and the New Post-9/11 Science Fiction Film Narrative, 26 March 2009 June 2, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Comprehensive Exam 3 of 3, Fiction of Philip K. Dick, Dr. Donald “Mack” Hassler, 7 June 2010 May 30, 2014
Top Posts & Pages
- Enable TRIM in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard for Speed and Longer SSD Life
- Lego Launch Command Sets For Sale
- On Forced Deep Throat in Aliens Vs. Predator Requiem
- Steps for Installing Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail in Dualboot Configuration on MacBook Pro Retina 10,1
- Star Wars Lego 30051 X-Wing Starfighter
- My Desktop Before Snow Leopard Install
- Gandalf Flies with the Eagles, a Lego MOC with 31004 and 30213
- New Pictures of Custom Display Stand for Star Wars Lego Slave I 8097
- Yale's Open Course Offerings in English
- Lego Star Wars Mini Sets, TIE Fighter, General Grievous' Starfighter, V-19 Torrent
- 367,699 visits
- RT @EmrgencyKittens: oh hey http://t.co/NutlRBM7G4 7 hours ago
- “@EmrgencyKittens: mechanic cat http://t.co/fJLBwiULuv” @YugawaSensei maybe Miao had been helping out while we were gone and got dirty. 7 hours ago
- One guy just bought a sealed MacBook Pro from another guy at Starbucks. "It's been so long since I've had a new computer." Open. Boot. Cash. 8 hours ago
- RT @olivia_solon: Russia wants Bulgarians to stop vandalizing Soviet monuments to look like superheroes: themoscowtimes.com/article/505354… http://t.co… 8 hours ago
- Overheard at Starbucks: "I'm not a product of this century." I had a feeling there were time travelers about. 8 hours ago
- On 3rd St. http://t.co/qB5aTD8qUU 8 hours ago
- RT @Baltobabble: Wow. RT @EastSideKris: @CNN won't tell u this but this is what it looks like outside right now... http://t.co/TeP7axGmLD 1 day ago
- RT @tomtomorrow: The technical term for a country in which citizens are not allowed to question police would be "police state." 1 day ago
- RT @JoshRosenau: Not seeing names or badge numbers on officers arresting Getty Images photographer Scott Olson in #Ferguson: http://t.co/wu… 1 day ago
- RT @repjohnlewis: Tonight I march in solidarity with those in #Ferguson because I believe the people have a right to peacefully protest htt… 1 day ago
Commenting PolicyComments on posts are always appreciated and encouraged. However, I continue to fight spam posts in the comments. When you comment, please be patient, because I choose to moderate comments to combat spam. I approve and respond to comments in as timely a fashion as possible. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.