Xeni Jardin wrote a post today on Boing Boing titled, “Lessons Learned.” I’ve commented on the Boing Boing explosion from a couple of weeks ago here, here, and here. It’s part apology, and part “here’s what we learned today.” As far as the Boing Boing community goes, I think it’s good that Xeni posted this. Also, it’s interesting how positive the majority of comments are to this post than to the original post that served as lightning rod to this mess. I wonder if folks had time to cool off, or if those anti-happy mutants jetisoned their escape pod to points of interest in the Internet Cloud that they found more amenable to their sensibilities. Anyways, I think Warren Ellis’ post, The Patchwork Years, is a good read and perspective antidote to comment wars and the general philocentric ennui on the net.
What is Dynamic Subspace?
On DynamicSubspace.net, Dr. Jason W. Ellis shares his interdisciplinary research and pedagogy. This blog's focus includes the exploration of science, technology, and cultural issues through science fiction and neuroscientific approaches.
Dr. Ellis is a Marion L. Brittain Postdoctoral Fellow in the School of Literature, Media, and Communication at the Georgia Institute of Technology where he teaches writing and science fiction and innovates new digital pedagogies. Also, he leads the Writing and Communication Program's research and development laboratory, DevLab.
He holds a B.S. in Science, Technology, and Culture from Georgia Tech, a M.A. in Science Fiction Studies from the University of Liverpool, and a Ph.D. in English from Kent State University.
Contact him via email at jason dot ellis at lmc dot gatech dot edu or on Twitter @dynamicsubspace.
Most Recent Posts
- Minireview: The Reconcilers Graphic Novel Volume 1 July 15, 2014
- Second Donation to Georgia Tech Library Archive’s Retrocomputing Lab: Power Macintosh 8500 June 29, 2014
- Inaugural Donation to Georgia Tech Library Archive’s Retrocomputing Lab June 20, 2014
- Atlanta Science Fiction Society Talk on Teaching SF at Georgia Tech, Tomorrow June 13, 2014
- New Job, New Students, and New Friends in New York City June 10, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Dissertation Defense Opening Statement, May 15, 2012 June 9, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Dissertation Paragraph Summaries Before Defense, May 2012 June 6, 2014
- Recovered Writing, Brittain Fellowship, CETL Brown Bag, Writing the Brain: Using Twitter and Storify, Oct. 2, 2013 June 4, 2014
- Recovered Writing, Unpublished Essay, Michael Bay’s Transformers and the New Post-9/11 Science Fiction Film Narrative, 26 March 2009 June 2, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Comprehensive Exam 3 of 3, Fiction of Philip K. Dick, Dr. Donald “Mack” Hassler, 7 June 2010 May 30, 2014
Top Posts & Pages
- Cordwainer Smith's "Alpha Ralpha Boulevard"
- On Forced Deep Throat in Aliens Vs. Predator Requiem
- Lego Star Wars Darth Vader's TIE Advanced Fighter
- Lego Launch Command Sets For Sale
- Candas Jane Dorsey's "(Learning About) Machine Sex"
- Steps for Installing Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail in Dualboot Configuration on MacBook Pro Retina 10,1
- Science Fiction, LMC3214: Global Perspective Unit on Taiwanese SF and Review for Exam 3
- Enable TRIM in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard for Speed and Longer SSD Life
- Minireview: The Reconcilers Graphic Novel Volume 1
- My Desktop Before Snow Leopard Install
- 365,494 visits
- RT @allistelling: Getting ready to introduce @GTProject_One to GT1000 instructors with @qalem. Culmination of months of ped dev. http://t.… 9 hours ago
- RT @stevesilberman: I think the Dalai Lama might be onto something. http://t.co/cbilv1Qupp 16 hours ago
- @agentivxx If only all of life's crises were cat emergencies. Miao-I want to play. Miao-I want treats. Miao-I want fresh litter. 16 hours ago
- RT @EmrgencyKittens: When mom calls you for dinner but it's not ready. http://t.co/Cf0JN8aSuH 17 hours ago
- “@EmrgencyKittens: Never want to get out of bed. http://t.co/VJrpLVK3xw” @YugawaSensei 22 hours ago
- “@usagi_pics: がまんがまん http://t.co/vk3RFb61aA” @YugawaSensei 22 hours ago
- RT @GreatDismal: Final corrected proofs have left the building. That's a wrap. 23 hours ago
- #lmc3214 It's been a fun class for me. Hope it has been for you, too. Good luck with your final assignments and other classes! 23 hours ago
- #lmc3214 Re: Final paper, discussion essay 3, and tweets. Email me sooner rather than later with questions. Will respond ASAP. 23 hours ago
- #lmc3214 See last RT. Final paper reminder: make your own argument. Properly quote/cite all sources. No paraphrasing. honor.gatech.edu 23 hours ago
Commenting PolicyComments on posts are always appreciated and encouraged. However, I continue to fight spam posts in the comments. When you comment, please be patient, because I choose to moderate comments to combat spam. I approve and respond to comments in as timely a fashion as possible. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.