I peeked at the running apps on my MacBook using the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor application, and I wondered about the AirPort Base Station Agent. I haven’t had an Airport Base Station since I lived in Atlanta, so I certainly didn’t want another background daemon running for a product that I don’t use. Following a quick Google search, I found this helpful how-to: Disable AirPort Base Station Agent. According to OSXDaily, you can permanently disable this background program by going into /Applications/Utilities/Airport Utility, click on Airport Utility menu > Preferences, and uncheck all options. Then, quit Airport Utility. Thereafter, you shouldn’t see the AirPort Base Station Agent running in the background. This gives you a very small resource savings.
What is Dynamic Subspace?
On DynamicSubspace.net, Dr. Jason W. Ellis shares his interdisciplinary research and pedagogy. This blog's focus includes the exploration of science, technology, and cultural issues through science fiction and neuroscientific approaches.
Dr. Ellis is a Marion L. Brittain Postdoctoral Fellow in the School of Literature, Media, and Communication at the Georgia Institute of Technology where he teaches writing and science fiction and innovates new digital pedagogies. Also, he leads the Writing and Communication Program's research and development laboratory, DevLab.
He holds a B.S. in Science, Technology, and Culture from Georgia Tech, a M.A. in Science Fiction Studies from the University of Liverpool, and a Ph.D. in English from Kent State University.
Contact him via email at jason dot ellis at lmc dot gatech dot edu or on Twitter @dynamicsubspace.
Most Recent Posts
- Minireview: The Reconcilers Graphic Novel Volume 1 July 15, 2014
- Second Donation to Georgia Tech Library Archive’s Retrocomputing Lab: Power Macintosh 8500 June 29, 2014
- Inaugural Donation to Georgia Tech Library Archive’s Retrocomputing Lab June 20, 2014
- Atlanta Science Fiction Society Talk on Teaching SF at Georgia Tech, Tomorrow June 13, 2014
- New Job, New Students, and New Friends in New York City June 10, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Dissertation Defense Opening Statement, May 15, 2012 June 9, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Dissertation Paragraph Summaries Before Defense, May 2012 June 6, 2014
- Recovered Writing, Brittain Fellowship, CETL Brown Bag, Writing the Brain: Using Twitter and Storify, Oct. 2, 2013 June 4, 2014
- Recovered Writing, Unpublished Essay, Michael Bay’s Transformers and the New Post-9/11 Science Fiction Film Narrative, 26 March 2009 June 2, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Comprehensive Exam 3 of 3, Fiction of Philip K. Dick, Dr. Donald “Mack” Hassler, 7 June 2010 May 30, 2014
Top Posts & Pages
- How to Build a Sparring Lightsaber with Parts from Home Depot and Spare Parts (with thoughts on learning and haptics)
- Lego Launch Command Sets For Sale
- Lego Star Wars Millennium Falcon 7190 Custom Rebuild
- Enable TRIM in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard for Speed and Longer SSD Life
- Before and After: Witus van de Merwe and District 9
- 1080p Trouble with Windows 7, Nvidia, and Samsung LCD HDTV
- Loud Fans and Adobe Flash on Early 2008 MacBook
- Lego Power Functions and Building a Remote Controlled Robot
- Custom Light-Up Display Stand for LEGO Star Wars Midi-Scale Millennium Falcon 7778 with Han Solo and Chewbacca from 7190
- Check Out Mind Hacks Blog for Your Regular Fix of Neuroscience and Brain Stuff
- 365,857 visits
- #lmc3214 Final Paper. Citing video games. Checkout out No. 64 on this list: bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/resdoc5e/res5e… 1 hour ago
- “@CityTechNews: You never know who will visit your class at City Tech! fb.me/2iU3HAIaZ” @plcorbett Awesome! Great exp for students. 2 hours ago
- RT @aliceellensmith: @PlanetofFinks http://t.co/EyJCHXNhIM 15 hours ago
- @djdavidweb That's cool but not required. I followed along with conversations during the semester. #lmc3214 15 hours ago
- RT @tech_faq: Kirk and Spock travel back in time to 2014... #startrek #geek #humor #lol #funny http://t.co/6dCiUCA2Un 1 day ago
- @film_girl @agentivxx Thanks for the advice--will follow. I plan to climb Yosemite soon--hopefully before my move to Brooklyn in two weeks. 1 day ago
- @tim_cook: Please open Mac OS X for Intel-based PCs. Free for Macs/Sold for PCs. You can show @Microsoft how it's done right. 1 day ago
- @JFriedhoff Congratulations! It feels good. Doing the same here. 1 day ago
- RT @riskprophet: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regressio… this can be applied to advancement in technology. It's a regression model which expresses variance … 2 days ago
- @Jimmy_PotsnPans Thanks for the info. I'll pass it along in an email tomorrow to class. #lmc3214 2 days ago
Commenting PolicyComments on posts are always appreciated and encouraged. However, I continue to fight spam posts in the comments. When you comment, please be patient, because I choose to moderate comments to combat spam. I approve and respond to comments in as timely a fashion as possible. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.