I peeked at the running apps on my MacBook using the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor application, and I wondered about the AirPort Base Station Agent. I haven’t had an Airport Base Station since I lived in Atlanta, so I certainly didn’t want another background daemon running for a product that I don’t use. Following a quick Google search, I found this helpful how-to: Disable AirPort Base Station Agent. According to OSXDaily, you can permanently disable this background program by going into /Applications/Utilities/Airport Utility, click on Airport Utility menu > Preferences, and uncheck all options. Then, quit Airport Utility. Thereafter, you shouldn’t see the AirPort Base Station Agent running in the background. This gives you a very small resource savings.
What is Dynamic Subspace?
On DynamicSubspace.net, Dr. Jason W. Ellis shares his interdisciplinary research and pedagogy. This blog's focus includes the exploration of science, technology, and cultural issues through science fiction and neuroscientific approaches.
Dr. Ellis is a Marion L. Brittain Postdoctoral Fellow in the School of Literature, Media, and Communication at the Georgia Institute of Technology where he teaches writing and science fiction and innovates new digital pedagogies. Also, he leads the Writing and Communication Program's research and development laboratory, DevLab.
He holds a B.S. in Science, Technology, and Culture from Georgia Tech, a M.A. in Science Fiction Studies from the University of Liverpool, and a Ph.D. in English from Kent State University.
Contact him via email at jason dot ellis at lmc dot gatech dot edu or on Twitter @dynamicsubspace.
Most Recent Posts
- Lego Building Experiments with Google Glass, Thoughts on Its Potential for Interdisciplinary Humanities Research April 24, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Queer Studies, Summary of Elizabeth Freeman’s “Packing History, Count(er)ing Generations,” April 15, 2008 April 23, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Queer Studies, Summary of Chandan Reddy’s “Asian Diasporas, Neoliberalism, and Family,” April 8, 2008 April 21, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Queer Studies, Eric Clarke’s “The Citizen’s Sexual Shadow,” March 2, 2008 April 18, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Queer Studies, Summary of Eric Clarke’s “Visibility at the Limits of Inclusion,” Feb. 26, 2008 April 16, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Queer Studies, Presentation on Judith Butler’s “Imitation and Gender Insubordination” and Introduction to Bodies That Matter Feb. 6, 2008 April 14, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Queer Studies, Summary of Foucault, The History of Sexuality, Vol. 1, Parts 3 and 4, January 29, 2008 April 11, 2014
- How to Build a Sparring Lightsaber with Parts from Home Depot and Spare Parts (with thoughts on learning and haptics) April 9, 2014
- Recovered Writing: PhD in English, Independent Study with Mack Hassler, Literary Characters, Online Persona, and Science Fiction Scholars: A Polemic, Dec. 9, 2008 April 9, 2014
- Support Files for My Module of DevLab Social Media Pedagogy and Assignments Workshop April 8, 2014
Top Posts & Pages
- Steps for Installing Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail in Dualboot Configuration on MacBook Pro Retina 10,1
- J. Haniver's Not In the Kitchen Anymore is a Woman's POV on Misogynistic Gamer Socialization
- James Tiptree, Jr.'s "The Last Flight of Doctor Ain"
- Homebuilt UHF Antenna for HDTV Reception
- Safari Web Content Hogging RAM and CPU Time, Thread on Apple Support Communities
- Enable TRIM in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard for Speed and Longer SSD Life
- On Forced Deep Throat in Aliens Vs. Predator Requiem
- Gandalf Flies with the Eagles, a Lego MOC with 31004 and 30213
- Lego Star Wars Millennium Falcon 7190 Custom Rebuild
- Lego Launch Command Sets For Sale
- 356,075 visits
- Report: Google to end forced G+ integration, drastically cut division resources ars.to/1puqPvw 2 hours ago
- RT @iuliuratiu: Hey @georgiatech! Come see the #CAPNRedesign tomorrow @ 9am in Hall 102 @WeaverRew @CAPNclinic @gatechService! You can do t… 3 hours ago
- Lego Building Experiments with Google Glass, Thoughts on Its Potential for Interdisciplinary Humanities Research wp.me/p3Tri-1l5 3 hours ago
- Glass Video from Apr 24, 2014, Target Exclusive Lego 30215 Legolas Greenleaf polybag build: youtu.be/ajV_e1PYBjI via @YouTube 4 hours ago
- @agentivxx Haven't used it in a long time. Not sure. There's nothing in Preferences or if you right click on the Flagged category? 4 hours ago
- RT @slashdot: Apple, Google Agree To Settle Lawsuit Alleging Hiring Conspiracy bit.ly/QCHqxH 4 hours ago
- @agentivxx Cool! That X-Wing chandelier really tied the room together. 6 hours ago
- RT @epiktistes: One week to submit to the Foundation special issue on Science Fiction and Videogames: call-for-papers.sas.upenn.edu/node/56321 6 hours ago
- RT @georgiatech: Beautiful night for Capstone Expo. We're going to tweet out some of the cool inventions we see tonight. #GTExpo http://t.c… 7 hours ago
- @YugawaSensei Thanks! Used to have McQuarrie's ROTJ concept art when I was little. I enjoyed looking at them to no end. Order issues in post 8 hours ago
Commenting PolicyComments on posts are always appreciated and encouraged. However, I continue to fight spam posts in the comments. When you comment, please be patient, because I choose to moderate comments to combat spam. I approve and respond to comments in as timely a fashion as possible. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.