I peeked at the running apps on my MacBook using the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor application, and I wondered about the AirPort Base Station Agent. I haven’t had an Airport Base Station since I lived in Atlanta, so I certainly didn’t want another background daemon running for a product that I don’t use. Following a quick Google search, I found this helpful how-to: Disable AirPort Base Station Agent. According to OSXDaily, you can permanently disable this background program by going into /Applications/Utilities/Airport Utility, click on Airport Utility menu > Preferences, and uncheck all options. Then, quit Airport Utility. Thereafter, you shouldn’t see the AirPort Base Station Agent running in the background. This gives you a very small resource savings.
What is Dynamic Subspace?
On DynamicSubspace.net, Dr. Jason W. Ellis shares his interdisciplinary research and pedagogy. This blog's focus includes the exploration of science, technology, and cultural issues through science fiction and neuroscientific approaches.
Dr. Ellis is a Marion L. Brittain Postdoctoral Fellow in the School of Literature, Media, and Communication at the Georgia Institute of Technology where he teaches writing and science fiction and innovates new digital pedagogies. Also, he leads the Writing and Communication Program's research and development laboratory, DevLab.
He holds a B.S. in Science, Technology, and Culture from Georgia Tech, a M.A. in Science Fiction Studies from the University of Liverpool, and a Ph.D. in English from Kent State University.
Contact him via email at jason dot ellis at lmc dot gatech dot edu or on Twitter @dynamicsubspace.
Most Recent Posts
- Minireview: The Reconcilers Graphic Novel Volume 1 July 15, 2014
- Second Donation to Georgia Tech Library Archive’s Retrocomputing Lab: Power Macintosh 8500 June 29, 2014
- Inaugural Donation to Georgia Tech Library Archive’s Retrocomputing Lab June 20, 2014
- Atlanta Science Fiction Society Talk on Teaching SF at Georgia Tech, Tomorrow June 13, 2014
- New Job, New Students, and New Friends in New York City June 10, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Dissertation Defense Opening Statement, May 15, 2012 June 9, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Dissertation Paragraph Summaries Before Defense, May 2012 June 6, 2014
- Recovered Writing, Brittain Fellowship, CETL Brown Bag, Writing the Brain: Using Twitter and Storify, Oct. 2, 2013 June 4, 2014
- Recovered Writing, Unpublished Essay, Michael Bay’s Transformers and the New Post-9/11 Science Fiction Film Narrative, 26 March 2009 June 2, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Comprehensive Exam 3 of 3, Fiction of Philip K. Dick, Dr. Donald “Mack” Hassler, 7 June 2010 May 30, 2014
Top Posts & Pages
- Cordwainer Smith's "Alpha Ralpha Boulevard"
- On Forced Deep Throat in Aliens Vs. Predator Requiem
- Lego Star Wars Darth Vader's TIE Advanced Fighter
- Lego Launch Command Sets For Sale
- Candas Jane Dorsey's "(Learning About) Machine Sex"
- Science Fiction, LMC3214: Global Perspective Unit on Taiwanese SF and Review for Exam 3
- Steps for Installing Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail in Dualboot Configuration on MacBook Pro Retina 10,1
- Enable TRIM in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard for Speed and Longer SSD Life
- Travel Light With Only a Regular JanSport Backpack, From My Experience at Dragon*Con 2011 in Atlanta
- Minireview: The Reconcilers Graphic Novel Volume 1
- 365,480 visits
- RT @allistelling: Getting ready to introduce @GTProject_One to GT1000 instructors with @qalem. Culmination of months of ped dev. http://t.… 7 hours ago
- RT @stevesilberman: I think the Dalai Lama might be onto something. http://t.co/cbilv1Qupp 13 hours ago
- @agentivxx If only all of life's crises were cat emergencies. Miao-I want to play. Miao-I want treats. Miao-I want fresh litter. 13 hours ago
- RT @EmrgencyKittens: When mom calls you for dinner but it's not ready. http://t.co/Cf0JN8aSuH 15 hours ago
- “@EmrgencyKittens: Never want to get out of bed. http://t.co/VJrpLVK3xw” @YugawaSensei 20 hours ago
- “@usagi_pics: がまんがまん http://t.co/vk3RFb61aA” @YugawaSensei 20 hours ago
- RT @GreatDismal: Final corrected proofs have left the building. That's a wrap. 21 hours ago
- #lmc3214 It's been a fun class for me. Hope it has been for you, too. Good luck with your final assignments and other classes! 21 hours ago
- #lmc3214 Re: Final paper, discussion essay 3, and tweets. Email me sooner rather than later with questions. Will respond ASAP. 21 hours ago
- #lmc3214 See last RT. Final paper reminder: make your own argument. Properly quote/cite all sources. No paraphrasing. honor.gatech.edu 21 hours ago
Commenting PolicyComments on posts are always appreciated and encouraged. However, I continue to fight spam posts in the comments. When you comment, please be patient, because I choose to moderate comments to combat spam. I approve and respond to comments in as timely a fashion as possible. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.