I peeked at the running apps on my MacBook using the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor application, and I wondered about the AirPort Base Station Agent. I haven’t had an Airport Base Station since I lived in Atlanta, so I certainly didn’t want another background daemon running for a product that I don’t use. Following a quick Google search, I found this helpful how-to: Disable AirPort Base Station Agent. According to OSXDaily, you can permanently disable this background program by going into /Applications/Utilities/Airport Utility, click on Airport Utility menu > Preferences, and uncheck all options. Then, quit Airport Utility. Thereafter, you shouldn’t see the AirPort Base Station Agent running in the background. This gives you a very small resource savings.
What is Dynamic Subspace?
On DynamicSubspace.net, Dr. Jason W. Ellis shares his interdisciplinary research and pedagogy. This blog's focus includes the exploration of science, technology, and cultural issues through science fiction and neuroscientific approaches.
Dr. Ellis is an Assistant Professor of English at the New York City College of Technology (City Tech) where he currently teaches college writing and technical communication.
He holds a B.S. in Science, Technology, and Culture from Georgia Tech, a M.A. in Science Fiction Studies from the University of Liverpool, and a Ph.D. in English from Kent State University.
Contact him via email at jellis at citytech.cuny.edu or on Twitter @dynamicsubspace.
Most Recent Posts
- Teaching at City Tech, Fall 2014, Syllabi for ENG 1101 and ENG 3771 September 22, 2014
- Personal Digital Archaeology: Jason’s Icons 1.0, Feb. 7, 1997 September 22, 2014
- Personal Digital Archaeology: New Computer Price List.doc, April 17, 2004 September 19, 2014
- Science Fiction, LMC3214, Summer 2014: Exploring Cultural Connections Through Haptics and LEGO August 23, 2014
- Minireview: The Reconcilers Graphic Novel Volume 1 July 15, 2014
- Second Donation to Georgia Tech Library Archive’s Retrocomputing Lab: Power Macintosh 8500 June 29, 2014
- Inaugural Donation to Georgia Tech Library Archive’s Retrocomputing Lab June 20, 2014
- Atlanta Science Fiction Society Talk on Teaching SF at Georgia Tech, Tomorrow June 13, 2014
- New Job, New Students, and New Friends in New York City June 10, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Dissertation Defense Opening Statement, May 15, 2012 June 9, 2014
Top Posts & Pages
- Teaching at City Tech, Fall 2014, Syllabi for ENG 1101 and ENG 3771
- Notes on Percy Bysshe Shelley's A Refutation of Deism: In a Dialog
- Before and After: Witus van de Merwe and District 9
- Personal Digital Archaeology: Jason's Icons 1.0, Feb. 7, 1997
- My Quick Peek into World of Warcraft Cataclysm
- Lego Launch Command Sets For Sale
- 2 Days Left on VFX1 Headgear Virtual Reality System eBay Auction
- Neil Gaiman's "Goliath"
- Homebuilt UHF Antenna for HDTV Reception
- Lego Star Wars Midi-Size Millennium Falcon
- 370,221 visits
- RT @trkravtin: ASO board member criticizes lockout, resigns in protest bit.ly/1C7toq6 @ATLSymMusicians @SOSSymphonyATL @KasimReed @… 1 hour ago
- RT @SOSMinnesota: .@AtlantaSymphony cancels concerts because of labor dispute - CBS46 News cbs46.com/story/26596361… @ATLSymMusicians @SOSSymp… 1 hour ago
- RT @ATLSymMusicians: News: ASO postpones start of the season; board member criticizes lockout, resigns in protest | ArtsATL http://t.co/w3q… 1 hour ago
- RT @trkravtin: Preemptively Cancelling Concerts wp.me/p3xf8N-ii @MaskFlowerPr @ATLSymMusicians @TheWoodruff @AtlantaSymphony @Kasim… 1 hour ago
- RT @SopranoLindsay: artsatl.com/2014/09/news-a… Read &Share. #SOSSymphonyATL #EndTheLockout @ATLSymMusicians @wsbtv @FOX5Atlanta @11AliveNews … 1 hour ago
- RT @SOSSymphonyATL: Michael announces via live feed that @ATLSymMusicians will play KSU concert on Friday. FREE!!! http://t.co/rkm2bRsN4a 1 hour ago
- RT @ehrenbrown: "The betrayal of Robert Shaw’s legacy must not be allowed to continue." gu.com/p/4xtha/tw #ASOlockout @ATLSymMusicians” 4 hours ago
- RT @danbrowning: .@ATLSymMusicians @pscanling I asked a similar Q of @wabenews this AM after I heard an ASO spot air. Thx @LoisReitzes for … 4 hours ago
- RT @trkravtin: The ASO Chorus speaks out: m.facebook.com/story.php?stor… @ATLSymMusicians @SOSSymphonyATL @TheWoodruff @AtlantaSymphony @KasimReed 4 hours ago
- Teaching at City Tech, Fall 2014, Syllabi for ENG 1101 and ENG 3771 wp.me/p3Tri-1oe 13 hours ago
Commenting PolicyComments on posts are always appreciated and encouraged. However, I continue to fight spam posts in the comments. When you comment, please be patient, because I choose to moderate comments to combat spam. I approve and respond to comments in as timely a fashion as possible. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.