Actually, the Science Fiction Research Association isn’t really “invading” Dragon*Con with ray guns drawn, but we will host a panel titled, “What does Science Fiction Mean: A Conversation with the SFRA” on Sunday morning in the Hyatt’s Fairlie room at 11:30am. Thanks to the SFRA’s Publicity Director R. Nicole Smith, several SFRA EC members (Lisa Yaszek and myself) and SFRA Review editors (Doug Davis and Jason Embry) will hold a panel to let convention goers know a little bit about what we do in the SFRA. We will also invite attendees to join the SFRA and participate in the 43rd annual conference in Detroit next year. If you are attending Dragon*Con, stop by the panel and join the conversation. If you aren’t going to Dragon*Con but are in the Atlanta area and what to talk shop, drop me a line [dynamicsubspace now-what-goes-here gmailcom]–I will be in town from Friday until Sunday.
What is Dynamic Subspace?
On DynamicSubspace.net, Dr. Jason W. Ellis shares his interdisciplinary research and pedagogy. This blog's focus includes the exploration of science, technology, and cultural issues through science fiction and neuroscientific approaches.
Dr. Ellis is an Assistant Professor of English at the New York City College of Technology (City Tech) where he currently teaches college writing and technical communication.
He holds a B.S. in Science, Technology, and Culture from Georgia Tech, a M.A. in Science Fiction Studies from the University of Liverpool, and a Ph.D. in English from Kent State University.
Contact him via email at jellis at citytech.cuny.edu or on Twitter @dynamicsubspace.
Most Recent Posts
- Personal Digital Archaeology: New Computer Price List.doc, April 17, 2004 September 19, 2014
- Science Fiction, LMC3214, Summer 2014: Exploring Cultural Connections Through Haptics and LEGO August 23, 2014
- Minireview: The Reconcilers Graphic Novel Volume 1 July 15, 2014
- Second Donation to Georgia Tech Library Archive’s Retrocomputing Lab: Power Macintosh 8500 June 29, 2014
- Inaugural Donation to Georgia Tech Library Archive’s Retrocomputing Lab June 20, 2014
- Atlanta Science Fiction Society Talk on Teaching SF at Georgia Tech, Tomorrow June 13, 2014
- New Job, New Students, and New Friends in New York City June 10, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Dissertation Defense Opening Statement, May 15, 2012 June 9, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Dissertation Paragraph Summaries Before Defense, May 2012 June 6, 2014
- Recovered Writing, Brittain Fellowship, CETL Brown Bag, Writing the Brain: Using Twitter and Storify, Oct. 2, 2013 June 4, 2014
Top Posts & Pages
- On Forced Deep Throat in Aliens Vs. Predator Requiem
- More Legos Than I Expected to Find Today
- Steps for Installing Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail in Dualboot Configuration on MacBook Pro Retina 10,1
- How to Build a Sparring Lightsaber with Parts from Home Depot and Spare Parts (with thoughts on learning and haptics)
- W. E. B. Du Bois, Carol Swain, and African-American Duality
- James Tiptree, Jr.'s "The Last Flight of Doctor Ain"
- Safari Web Content Hogging RAM and CPU Time, Thread on Apple Support Communities
- 2 Days Left on VFX1 Headgear Virtual Reality System eBay Auction
- Neil Gaiman's "Goliath"
- Before and After: Witus van de Merwe and District 9
- 370,082 visits
- @agentivxx yeah, you can do cool things with it. Even make basic apps. Catch you later! 6 hours ago
- @agentivxx I think Automator replaced AppleScript in MacOS X. Look in Applications folder. Easy to use. Record actions and string actions. 6 hours ago
- @agentivxx What about Automator? 6 hours ago
- @catsnkittys @samosamancer So tiny and cute 🐱 6 hours ago
- @agentivxx If I do catch some shows, what do you recommend? 6 hours ago
- @agentivxx Might not have time to watch anything ⌚️ zing! That's a double pun 😃 6 hours ago
- @agentivxx Its interesting to think about how these adaptive writing technologies might change how we think about writing. Dunno. 6 hours ago
- @agentivxx hm, your name dropped out of that message. Anyways, discovered not for iOS. What gives? 7 hours ago
- Not sure about TV, but definitely seeing Interstellar. Check this out: wired.com/2014/09/inters… 7 hours ago
- RT @agentivxx: @dynamicsubspace Okay, so what do you call it when Batman leaves church early? Christian Bale. :-D 7 hours ago
Commenting PolicyComments on posts are always appreciated and encouraged. However, I continue to fight spam posts in the comments. When you comment, please be patient, because I choose to moderate comments to combat spam. I approve and respond to comments in as timely a fashion as possible. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.