Actually, the Science Fiction Research Association isn’t really “invading” Dragon*Con with ray guns drawn, but we will host a panel titled, “What does Science Fiction Mean: A Conversation with the SFRA” on Sunday morning in the Hyatt’s Fairlie room at 11:30am. Thanks to the SFRA’s Publicity Director R. Nicole Smith, several SFRA EC members (Lisa Yaszek and myself) and SFRA Review editors (Doug Davis and Jason Embry) will hold a panel to let convention goers know a little bit about what we do in the SFRA. We will also invite attendees to join the SFRA and participate in the 43rd annual conference in Detroit next year. If you are attending Dragon*Con, stop by the panel and join the conversation. If you aren’t going to Dragon*Con but are in the Atlanta area and what to talk shop, drop me a line [dynamicsubspace now-what-goes-here gmailcom]–I will be in town from Friday until Sunday.
What is Dynamic Subspace?
On DynamicSubspace.net, Dr. Jason W. Ellis shares his interdisciplinary research and pedagogy. This blog's focus includes the exploration of science, technology, and cultural issues through science fiction and neuroscientific approaches.
Dr. Ellis is an Assistant Professor of English at the New York City College of Technology (City Tech) where he currently teaches college writing and technical communication.
He holds a B.S. in Science, Technology, and Culture from Georgia Tech, a M.A. in Science Fiction Studies from the University of Liverpool, and a Ph.D. in English from Kent State University.
Contact him via email at jellis at citytech.cuny.edu or on Twitter @dynamicsubspace.
Most Recent Posts
- Science Fiction, LMC3214, Summer 2014: Exploring Cultural Connections Through Haptics and LEGO August 23, 2014
- Minireview: The Reconcilers Graphic Novel Volume 1 July 15, 2014
- Second Donation to Georgia Tech Library Archive’s Retrocomputing Lab: Power Macintosh 8500 June 29, 2014
- Inaugural Donation to Georgia Tech Library Archive’s Retrocomputing Lab June 20, 2014
- Atlanta Science Fiction Society Talk on Teaching SF at Georgia Tech, Tomorrow June 13, 2014
- New Job, New Students, and New Friends in New York City June 10, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Dissertation Defense Opening Statement, May 15, 2012 June 9, 2014
- Recovered Writing, PhD in English, Dissertation Paragraph Summaries Before Defense, May 2012 June 6, 2014
- Recovered Writing, Brittain Fellowship, CETL Brown Bag, Writing the Brain: Using Twitter and Storify, Oct. 2, 2013 June 4, 2014
- Recovered Writing, Unpublished Essay, Michael Bay’s Transformers and the New Post-9/11 Science Fiction Film Narrative, 26 March 2009 June 2, 2014
Top Posts & Pages
- Steps for Installing Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail in Dualboot Configuration on MacBook Pro Retina 10,1
- Safari Web Content Hogging RAM and CPU Time, Thread on Apple Support Communities
- Before and After: Witus van de Merwe and District 9
- Lego Star Wars Millennium Falcon Midi-Size 7778
- Followup to Adventures with a CustoMac: Installing Mac OS X Mavericks on Asus P8Z77-V PC
- Lego Star Wars Millennium Falcon 7190 Custom Rebuild
- How to Build a Sparring Lightsaber with Parts from Home Depot and Spare Parts (with thoughts on learning and haptics)
- The United States and Canada Declare War on Japanese Manga and Lolicon
- James Tiptree, Jr.'s "The Last Flight of Doctor Ain"
- Lego Star Wars Millennium Falcon 7190
- 368,475 visits
- RT @CityTechLibrary: New ebook collections and other resources in the library! cityte.ch/jq 16 hours ago
- Watching Andre Rieu and his orchestra perform at Radio City Music Hall on CUNY Arts TV. Hopes he returns to NYC soon! 1 day ago
- @agentivxx I KNEW that I was doing SOMETHING wrong! 1 day ago
- RT @PennyRed: Video Games, Misogyny and Terrorism: a Guide to Assholes. Brilliant, essential piece. Read now. badassdigest.com/2014/08/26/vid… 1 day ago
- RT @ricutz: Sci Fi Lab Radio Show in its Seventh Season lmc-gt.blogspot.com/2014/08/sci-fi… 1 day ago
- RT @CityTechNews: IMPORTANT UPDATE: REGISTRATION EXTENSION TO SEPT 4th Due to the systems difficulties that disrupted registration... http… 1 day ago
- Manuscript completed where it eventually will be shelved #8WordEssay 1 day ago
- RT @adamledoux: New @SciFiLab show tonight on @WREK 91.1 FM at 7pm. I'm co-hosting with @MatthewGuz! Tune in for great SF discussion! http:… 1 day ago
- RT @timmaughan: I need a job. Preferably in NYC. Am good at: words, cynicism, making tea. 1 day ago
- RT @CityTechNews: AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT REGISTRATION Due to the systems difficulties that disrupted registration on two... http:… 1 day ago
Commenting PolicyComments on posts are always appreciated and encouraged. However, I continue to fight spam posts in the comments. When you comment, please be patient, because I choose to moderate comments to combat spam. I approve and respond to comments in as timely a fashion as possible. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.