Lego Star Wars Slave I 8097 with Display

IMG_4271, originally uploaded by dynamicsubspace.

After building the new Lego Star Wars Slave I (set 8097), I wanted to display it. However, I wanted to exhibit it in such a way that it appeared dynamic and in flight. As you may guess, the shape of Slave I is not exactly symmetrical and it is not evenly balanced. Thus, I had to figure out a way to show it in flight while maintaining its balance.

I didn’t want to redesign the Slave I model internally, because I wanted to be able to take it off of its display stand if desired. I compromised by showing Slave I just taking off from the horizontal during its transition to flight. This also facilitates the model’s built-in and free-rotating cockpit/wing assembly. Boba Fett is correctly aligned on the horizontal even though his ship is assuming a vertical orientation.

You may click through the image above to see pictures from the whole Flickr set including detailed views of the display stand’s construction and rotation ability.

I am a professor of English at the New York City College of Technology, CUNY whose teaching includes composition and technical communication, and research focuses on 20th/21st-century American culture, science fiction, neuroscience, and digital technology.

Posted in Science Fiction
11 comments on “Lego Star Wars Slave I 8097 with Display
  1. Jon says:

Do you have a list of parts for the display? Would love to put one together for my Slave 1.

2. Jason Ellis says:

Hi Jon,

I will write down a parts list later this coming week and post it here.

Best, Jason

3. Jason Ellis says:

Hi Jon,

I don’t have time to build a nice parts list, but I did have the time to take some more detailed photos of the base. As you can see in the original set, there aren’t too many pieces needed. The challenge was getting the right angle with the long technics pieces so that Slave I would balance over the base. You can find the new pictures here:

Best, Jason

4. Ben says:

Jason,

Awesome display! I was actually searching Google for a way to display this piece on a shelf and it looks like your method really fits the bill. I had a couple of questions if you have time to answer them.

A) Can all the parts for these be purchased from a LEGO store or did you order them online? (or, did you already have them…)

B) Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the base without Slave I mounted to it so I can get a feel for the construction?

Ben

5. Jason Ellis says:

Hi Ben,

Thanks! I had all of the parts on-hand from several large lot purchases that I made in the Northeast Ohio area about a year ago. I will take some pictures of the display without Slave I and post them here soon. It may take me a week to do it, because I am busy with other things. Keep checking back.

Best, Jason

6. Jason Ellis says:

Dear Ben,

I updated that Flickr set with additional photos of the display stand. Unfortunately, I don’t have the time to make a piece list for the stand. I hope that you can make out the parts from the additional photos here:

Best, Jason

7. Christopher says:

I looked at your images and have most of the lego’s marked down. But going on the lego site, I have found a total of about 8 of the pieces, the rest are mia.

ill post up what I have later for you.

8. Shaun says:

Thanks for putting this together, and for the follow up pics. Your stand for this might literally be the only one on the web.

I had to make a couple adjustments for what was available on the pick-a-brick site, and had to order an entire assortment of technic pieces from a set on amazon just for those long, rounded edge technic pieces, but it’s done and it works!

9. Jason Ellis says:

Hey Shaun,

Sure thing! I am glad that you have put together one of your own. I am planning out how to build a flight simulator arrangement for the ESB Millennium Falcon. I have seen examples using gears or pneumatics for achieving this goal for Lego airplanes, but not for the Falcon. It would need to be beefier to support the weight and stresses. If you run across anything like this, please let me know. I will post my progress in the future.

Best, Jason

10. […] Da sich die Slave I leider nur im liegenden Zustand aufstellen lässt, habe ich nach einer Präsentationsform gesucht. Fündig wurde ich hier: Display […]

Comments are closed.

Who is Dynamic Subspace?

Dr. Jason W. Ellis shares his interdisciplinary research and pedagogy on DynamicSubspace.net. Its focus includes the exploration of science, technology, and cultural issues through science fiction and neuroscientific approaches. It includes vintage computing, LEGO, and other wonderful things, too.

He is an Assistant Professor of English at the New York City College of Technology, CUNY (City Tech) where he teaches college writing, technical communication, and science fiction.

He holds a Ph.D. in English from Kent State University, M.A. in Science Fiction Studies from the University of Liverpool, and B.S. in Science, Technology, and Culture from Georgia Tech.

He welcomes questions, comments, and inquiries for collaboration via email at jellis at citytech dot cuny dot edu or Twitter @dynamicsubspace.